Micah Brown Voted Burke’s Rookie Teacher of the Year

Back to Article
Back to Article

Keoshia Ferguson, Staff Writer

Congratulations to Mr. Micah Brown, voted BHS’s Rookie Teacher of the Year! Mr. Brown teaches Digital Art & Design I & II, and in one short year has quickly become a favorite with students and faculty alike.

A Charleston native, Mr. Brown attended Charleston County schools all his life. After graduating from West Ashley HS, Mr. Brown attended SC State University and earned his Bachelor’s degree in Digital Media.

After working in the digital media industry for a few years, Mr. Brown accepted a position at Liberty Hill Academy. He was initially hired as a Teacher Assistant and then later became an Intervention Specialist. After 2.5 years at Liberty Hill, Mr. Brown began his journey to earning his certification in teaching.

“Working at Liberty Hill made me really start caring about the students and made me realize I was good at working with them,” said Brown. He decided to join SC DIRECT, a work-based teaching certification program and subsequently was hired as a DAD certified teacher here at Burke.

What makes Mr. Brown a favorite teacher at BHS?

“He really cares about his students, and it shows,” said Roy Kemp, CTE Department Chair.

Rising sophomore Darricka Richardson commented “He always has fun activities for us to help us learn Digital Art & Design.”

“He’s funny, and has a really positive attitude,” said Amanda Duke, CTE teacher.

Brown’s life at BHS is more than just teaching, though. He also served as a Junior Class Advisor with the huge responsibility of planning the junior/senior prom. For a first year teacher, that’s a big undertaking.

So how did it go? “It started a little slow, but ended up coming together really well. Thanks again to the team who helped, and a special shout out to Ms. Frasier,” Brown remarked.

Outside of Burke, Mr. Brown spends his time at the gym and hanging out with family and friends. He also sings and plays keyboard/organ at several churches in the Lowcountry.