BHS students help produce media arts in ‘noteworthy’ apprenticeship

Back to Article
Back to Article

When BHS juniors Kysia Holston and Jordan Brown were recommended by their advisor, Mr. Robert Ellington, for an internship with This Is Noteworthy, they jumped at the opportunity. Founded and run by former singer/magazine editor/event coordinator Becca Finley, the internship includes students from 4 other area schools including Academic Magnet, School of the Arts, North Charleston High and Goose Creek High. This past April they were featured on SCETV’s ‘Palmetto Scene.’

This is Noteworthy was designed to provide students with hands-on experience in music production, film and magazine editing. Finley calls the program an “education incubator” created to support collaboration between students and artists in industry. Students worked together to interview musicians and compose news stories related to the industry, and then used them to create a magazine called Found and a series of television broadcasts called Found TV.

“I say this all the time: we concentrate so much on how smart students are as opposed to how they’re smart,” Ellington said in the Palmetto Scene segment. “We have a lot of students who are smart in many different ways, and are gifted. So the fact that they’re learning how to run a camera, how to run a soundboard, how to book bands, learning how to talk to musicians…it’s perfect.”

Watch the episode of Palmetto Scene featuring our students and Mr. Ellington here.