The Newspaper of the Burke High School Community

The Parvenue

Spectacular Senior Night

Senior Night - Scholarships

Senior Night - Scholarships

Senior Night - Scholarships

Alexus Robinson, Staff Writer

On May 17, 2017, there was a Senior Night that will go down in Burke history.

Historically, Burke’s Senior Night is a celebration of all the accomplishments of BHS seniors as they prepare for graduation. This year was no exception. Held in the BHS auditorium, the ceremony began with the entrance of the Senior Class of 2017 to the chorus of cheers from proud family members, faculty and staff.

After a brief welcome, it was time for the awarding of scholarships. Burke’s rich history and “bulldog pride” was evidenced by the number of former senior classes and Burke supporters who donated scholarships to our outstanding seniors.

• Burke Class of 1955 awarded a scholarship to Jada Young. Jada, with a GPA 3.59, ranking her 4th in her class, will be attending Winston Salem to pursue a degree in nursing.
  • BHS Class of 1959 awarded three scholarships of $500 each to Jada Young, Jasmine Haynes and Andisi Kita.
  • Yolanda Manigault of the BHS Class of 1983 presented $200 each to Sidney Robinson, Andisi Kita and Monasia Allen.
  • Andisi Kita was awarded the Evelyn Ancrum Scholarship of $1,000.
  • Sidney Robinson was awarded a scholarship from Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity.
  • Mr. Justin Pearson from the Citadel presented the Southeastern Services Scholarship of $40,000 over 4 years to Lyntoria Simmons.
  • The CA Brown/Burke class of 1964 presented Terry Gladden with a scholarship for $1,000.
  • Burke Class of 1982 presented 3 scholarships of $500 to Jada Young, Andisi Kita and Tyeshia Williams.
  • On behalf of Maria Goodlow Johnson, former superintendent of Charleston, and 20 Pearls of Charleston, Andisi Kita was presented with a scholarship of $750.
  • Carlonette Social Club & SC State Alumni Association presented Andisi Kita with a scholarship for $400.
  • Charleston Alumni Chapter for SC State awarded Destiny Lights $1000 to attend SC State University.
  • Members of the LETC Org  presented the Myra Thompson Memorial Scholarship of $500 to Destiny Lights.
  • The Army National Guard presented Sidney Huger, Jasmine Anderson & Taraya Jones with scholarships of $44,200.
  • Tyler White and Monasia Allen received two $500 book scholarships from The Gullah  Society and College of Charleston. 

Mrs. Garris then announced the top 10 seniors, ranked by GPA. They were Lyntoria Simmons, Tyler White, Keanta Cooks. Chanquaisha Drayton, Schevelle Bailey, Calvin Gathers, Jada Young, Tyeshia Williams (salutatorian) and Khalaya Brown (valedictorian). 

Senior Class DanceThen it was time for the seniors to run the show. They presented a compilation of “thank you” videos, photos, baby pictures and memories set to music. It was a joyous yet bittersweet and heartfelt presentation that left a tear in the eyes of many audience members.

Just when things started to get too serious, the class  performed their “Senior Dance,” which they choreographed and rehearsed during the weeks prior to Senior Night. Several seniors performed solos, including a special one by Michael Brown, known for his “happy dance” at pep rallies.

It was a spectacular celebration for all to see.

• Spectacular Senior Night

Student Life

Senior Spotlight

• Spectacular Senior Night

Student Life

2017 Prom Photo Gallery

• Spectacular Senior Night

Bulldog Pride

Burke Band Members Offered Over $700,000 In Scholarships

• Spectacular Senior Night

Bulldog Pride

Entrepreneurship students’ award winning business plans

• Spectacular Senior Night

Bulldog Pride

ACE Mentors of Charleston Host Banquet, Project Showcase

• Spectacular Senior Night

Student Life

Senior Spotlight

• Video

Celebrating Senior Night

• Spectacular Senior Night

News

Roaring 20s live museum launches New Tech’s project based learning at Burke

• Spectacular Senior Night

Student Life

BHS students help produce media arts in ‘noteworthy’ apprenticeship

• Spectacular Senior Night

Bulldog Pride

Digital Desktop Publishing Logo Contest

Spectacular Senior Night