Bulldogs’ Civil Rights Project with CCPL Featured in the News

Back to Article
Back to Article

Video provided by WCIV

When the sophomore English and history Bulldogs BARKed about civil rights suppression, Charleston listened! Recently, BHS sophomore English/History New Tech classes were featured on WCIV News, The Charleston City Paper, and in a documentary produced by the Charleston County Public Library (CCPL) for their graphic historical novels that highlight civil rights suppression around the world.

With the help of Charleston County Public Library, BHS students in Ms. Navarette and Mr. Johnson’s blended English and History class created graphic novels based on Chinua Achebe’s Things Fall Apart. Students read the novel for a class assignment and then used the context of the novel to explore political oppression and its affect on minority groups though history.

The next part of the assignment was to develop characters suffering from political oppression and create a graphic novel. Staff from Charleston County Public Library (CCPL) worked with students in story development, research, and technical graphic and writing skills to build storyboards and narratives. 

Once the graphic novels are complete, CCPL will have them printed, bound and added to the Archive Collection for Charleston residents to enjoy.