Burke Welcomes Mrs. Cheryl Swinton as new Executive Principal

Charleston County School District

Back to Article
Back to Article

Zarea Pelzer, Staff Reporter

On Valentine’s Day, Charleston County School District announced that Burke HS and Simmons Pinckney Middle School were getting a new Executive Principal. Mrs. Cheryl Swinton, a former Family and Consumer Science teacher and Job Placement Coordinator at Burke, will return as its new head.

“I really knew I’d come full circle when I saw Ms. Gaillard, whose dad hired me when I first came to Burke years ago,” said Mrs. Swinton in her first meeting with BHS faculty and staff. Swinton was first hired at Burke in 1984 and continued until she accepted a position as a guidance counselor at Garrett Academy in 1994.

Mrs. Swinton received a Bachelor of Science and Master of Science in Family and Consumer Science from Winthrop University, and a Master of Education in Secondary Guidance and Counseling and a degree in Secondary School Administration from The Citadel.

With almost 40 years’ experience in education, Mrs. Swinton brings a vast amount of knowledge and experience with her. For the past 15 years, she has served as first Assistant Principal and then Associate Principal at Wando High and her leadership will be a great asset to Burke and Simmons Pinckney.

Mrs. Swinton explained that coming home to Burke just makes good sense. “I’m ready to give it all I have,” she said. “This is the perfect place for greatness.”

“Cheryl has the experience, expertise, and skills to effectively lead the Burke and Simmons Pinckney communities,” said CCSD Superintendent Gerrita Postlewait. “We are excited to welcome her back to her first place of employment in the District nearly three decades ago. We know she will bring great opportunities to the students and families we serve in District 20.”

Please join us in welcoming Mrs. Swinton back into the Burke Family!
Cheryl Swinton, new Executive Principal of BHS