The Newspaper of the Burke High School Community

The Parvenue

“Pure Determination” Leads Bulldogs to Victory at Class AA State Championship

Bulldogs return victorious after battle with Keenan at State

Bulldogs Bring Home 2nd State Champ trophy in 3 yearsThey came, they saw, they persevered. And then the Burke Bulldogs conquered.

In a nail-biter of a game Saturday, March 4, the Bulldogs beat Keenan high school to win their 2nd State Championship for boys basketball in 3 years. Fans packed the stands at the Colonial Life Arena in Columbia, SC to cheer the Bulldogs on to victory.

“Hey, it’s gut. Pure determination. And it’s a thing of who wanted it more. We went after it and we got it,” said head coach Deon Richardson.

Though Keenan held a lead for most of the game, the Bulldogs finally pushed ahead in the 4th quarter after Sidney Robinson banked a 3-pointer to bring on a 9-0 run, followed by Marquez Watson’s 4th quarter basket to give us a 45-41 scoreboard with 5:16 left on the clock.

After that, the lead changed 3 more times with 5 ties as fouls and turnovers abounded. Watson’s two free throws brought the score to 55-51 with eight seconds left. Then Khyree Thompson’s free throw gave Burke a 56-53 lead for the win.

Burke Celebrates Win at State
“They could never pull away from us, but we couldn’t ever seem to close the gap. Finally, we got some big putbacks, free throws and turnovers,” Richardson said.

Anthony Hill led Burke with 17 points and 11 rebounds.

In a statement on Facebook, Coach Richardson expressed his pride for his team. He applauded players for their inner growth “to become not just a better basketball player, but also a better young man.”

Richardson included a heartfelt message with hopes that “each of you remain constantly aware of how blessed you are and will carry your gifts forward to those that will follow. BE A BRIDGE BUILDER. You are special. And capable. And strong. And talented. And never NEVER let anyone tell you otherwise.”

Congratulations to the players and coaches. Once again, you’ve made us proud.