Burke Band Members Offered Over $700,000 In Scholarships

Back to Article
Back to Article

Darricka Richardson, Staff Writer

Burke Band's Mr. McCloud Leads the way to ScholarshipsMr. Linard McCloud, Band Director for Burke High School for over 30 years, continues to motivate his students to express themselves through music. Through his particular motivational strategies,  he influenced five Burke Band students to audition at the 10th Annual Burke Band BHCU Scholarship Fair.

As a result, these seniors received offers totaling over $700,000.00 in band scholarship money.

The scholarships are as follows (totals represent offers from all four schools):
  • D’Angelo Dukes $ 72,744
  • Chanquashia Drayton $78,000
  • Andrew Shepperd  $160,000
  • Allen Rouse  $148,000
  • Rashon Young   $242,000
Participating bands in the Burke BHCU Scholarship Fair included  Benedict College, Bethune-Cookman University, South Carolina State University, and Savannah State University.

“I expect them to be the best character person they can be, I have high expectations for both boys and girls. Most of all, don’t forget your home training and your upbringing. If you weren’t taught any at home, you were taught here in the band,” says McCloud in a recent interview.

These students will audition at a later date for Florida A&M University and Southern University.

This kind of commitment and dedication to his students is the reason Mr. McCloud is one of the most respected teachers at BHS.